Design Engineer (future role)
You will focus on design to implement great product experiences.
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-6 to UTC+5).
- Type of work: Full-time (contractor or employee depending on circumstances).
- Level: IC4 or above.
- We're a remote company, we prefer asynchronous communication over meetings.
MUI's story began in 2014 with Material UI, the most successful React implementation of Google's Material Design. Today, Material UI stands as one of the most popular open-source libraries on GitHub and has paved the way for the fully-fledged startup known as MUI (founded in 2019), which now boasts an ever-expanding ecosystem of React UI products. We're a company of 31+ people as of late 2023, and we're growing.
MUI is best known for our flagship product, Material UI—but this is just one of three core component libraries we maintain. Base UI is our headless component library, and Joy UI is a sister library to Material UI that implements our own in-house Joy Design system. We also host Design Kits and pre-built Templates.
Beyond the core libraries, MUI X offers advanced components like the Data Grid, Date and Time Pickers, and Charts, for more complex user interactions and data visualization needs.
We're also making ambitious moves to incorporate our full suite of components into Toolpad, a low-code admin builder tool for assembling full-stack apps faster than ever.
Learn more about MUI's products in this blog post: An introduction to the MUI ecosystem.
MUI is a fully remote company with a team that spans the globe. The majority of our work is asynchronous, and we rely on written communication to collaborate. We're radically transparent: nearly all of our work happens in public. Each contributor has the freedom to decide how and when they work, and that work is primarily self-directed: it's your responsibility to define and complete your own tasks in a timely manner.
We are aiming to make high-end design accessible to the many, empowering developers that lack access to a designer as well as saving time for designers with a source they can trust. According to our last survey, the quality of the design execution (UX & UI) is the most important criteria used by developers & designers to pick their next UI library.
Overall, both our open-source community and our premium products are growing fast (x2 YoY). We need talented people to keep that going!
Our products empower React developers to build awesome applications faster – we see millions of developers on MUI's docs every year, one million a month.
But while we are the leading UI design system in the frontend space, the adoption of MUI is only at 25%. More importantly, the challenges of developers and designers to solve when creating UIs go way beyond the ones of design systems. We envision a future where MUI becomes the default toolkit for web developers to create UIs. It's why we started Base UI, Joy UI, and MUI Toolpad. Design is key to achieving this goal.
Depending on the day, you'll:
- Work closely with our designers to prototype and implement new components, features, and screens.
- Design and build entire experiences for sites like mui.com or products like MUI Toolpad.
- Concept and prototype UX components and motion studies for components like the date picker.
- Extend our different design systems (Material UI, Joy UI).
- Create appealing new demos in the docs.
- 3+ years of relevant web front-end development experience at a tech-forward, product-driven company.
- Advanced knowledge of modern React, HTML, and CSS.
- Experience designing and building public-facing sites that work elegantly.
- A good understanding of the formal elements of design, not just limited to the web and including typography, layout, balance, and proportion.
Competitive compensation depending on the profile and location. We are ready to pay top market rates for a person that can clearly exceed the role's expectations. You can find the other perks & benefits on the careers page.
Don't meet every requirement? Apply anyway! Research shows that certain folks are less likely to apply for a role than others unless they meet 100% of the outlined qualifications. If this role excites you, we want to hear from you. We'd love for you to share the unique skills, passion, and experience you could bring to MUI.